Abortion Related StatisticsThere are 40-50 million abortions worldwide every year.
- 56,662,169 (56+ million) abortions since Roe v Wade in 1973 (November of 2013, U.S. CDC)
- U.S. Abortions Per Year: 1.5 million
- Abortions per day: 3,288
- Abortions per hour: 137
- 9 abortions every 4 minutes
- 1 abortion every 26 seconds
- 234 abortions per 1,000 live births
- 1000 live abortions a year
Incidence Of AbortionNearly half of pregnancies among American women are unintended, and about 4 in 10 of these are terminated by abortion. 22 % of all pregnancies (excluding miscarriages) end in abortion.
40% of pregnancies among white women, 67% among blacks and 53% among Hispanics are unintended.
In 2008, 1.21 million abortions were performed, down from 1.31 million in 2000. However, between 2005 and 2008, the long-term decline in abortions stalled. From 1973 through 2008, nearly 50 million legal abortions occurred.
Each year, 2% of women aged 15-44 have an abortion. Half have had at least one previous abortion.
At least half of all American women will experience an unintended pregnancy by age 45, and, at current rates, 1 in 10 women will have an abortion by age 20, one in four by age 30 and 3 in 10 by age 45.
Pew Research Center - Aug 2013
- 49% of Americans found abortion to be immoral
- 15% found abortion morally acceptable
- 23% felt it was not a moral issue
- 75% White Evangelicals were the religious group most opposed to abortion indicating they found abortion immoral.
- 70% of those who attend religious services once a week were inclined to say abortion is immoral
- 74% of white Catholics who attend Mass at least once a week consider abortion morally wrong
- 40% of white Catholics who attend Mass less often do not consider abortion morally wrong
Who Has Abortions?
- 18% of U.S. women obtaining abortions are teenagers; those aged 15-17 obtain 6% of all abortions, teens aged 18-19 obtain 11%, and teens younger than age 15 obtain 0.4%.
- Women in their 20s account for more than half of all abortions; women aged 20-24 obtain 33% of all abortions, and women aged 25-29 obtain 24%.
- Non-Hispanic white women account for 36% of abortions, non-Hispanic black women for 30%, Hispanic women for 25% and women of other races for 9%.
- 37% of women obtaining abortions identify as Protestant and 28% as Catholic.
- Women who have never married and are not cohabiting account for 45% of all abortions
- About 61% of abortions are obtained by women who have one or more children.
- 42% of women obtaining abortions have incomes below 100% of the federal poverty level ($10,830 for a single woman with no children).
- 27% of women obtaining abortions have incomes between 100-199% of the federal poverty level.
Contraceptive Use54% of women who have abortions had used a contraceptive method (usually the condom or the pill) during the month they became pregnant. Among those women, 76% of pill users and 49% of condom users report having used their method inconsistently, while 13% of pill users and 14% of condom users report correct use.
46% of women who have abortions had not used a contraceptive method during the month they became pregnant. Of these women, 33% had perceived themselves to be at low risk for pregnancy, 32% had had concerns about contraceptive methods, 26% had had unexpected sex and 1% had been forced to have sex.
8% of women who have abortions have never used a method of birth control; nonuse is greatest among those who are young, poor, black, Hispanic or less educated.
About half of unintended pregnancies occur among the 11% of women who are at risk for unintended pregnancy but are not using contraceptives. Most of these women have practiced contraception in the past.
Early Medication Abortion (RU 486)
- In September 2000, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved mifepristone to be marketed in the United States as an alternative to surgical abortion.
- In 2008, 59% of abortion providers, or 1,066 facilities, provided one or more early medication abortions. At least 9% of providers offer only early medication abortion services.
- Medication abortion accounted for 17% of all nonhospital abortions, and about one-quarter of abortions before nine weeks' gestation, in 2008.
Of the women experiencing medical and physical problems resulting from the abortion drug, 612 women required hospitalizations, 339 experienced blood loss significant enough to require a transfusion, 256 experienced infections and 48 women experienced what the FDA labeled as "severe infections." Given that the RU 486 abortion drug caused sepsis, a potentially lethal infection that resulted in the deaths of women from around the world, the "serious infections" were very likely life-threatening situations.
Abortion Under Pressure
- 64% of women having abortions feel pressured by others to do it.
- The number one killer of pregnant women is homicide.
- 54% of women felt uncertain at the time of their abortion.
- 52% of women felt rushed at the time of their abortion.
- 67% of women received no counseling by the clinic or other service-providers who performed the abortion.
- 84% of women felt they did not receive adequate counseling before their abortion.
- 79% of women were not informed by the abortion provider about available alternatives.
- If a teenager has had an abortion within the last six months she is six times more likely to commit suicide.
Number of women that Die
- One death per every 530,000 abortions if you are at eight weeks or less.
- One death per 17,000 abortions for pregnancies at 16-20 weeks.
- One death per 6,000 abortions at 21 weeks and more.
- 88% of the American public was familiar with Planned Parenthood
- 63% saying they had a favorable opinion of the organization
- 55% overall did not know that Planned Parenthood performs abortions
- 50% of people who identified themselves as pro-life did not know that Planned Parenthood performs abortions
- 6% knew that Planned Parenthood kills more than 300,000 unborn children by abortion annually.
Based on Planned Parenthood's own annual report, it has performed over 329,445 abortions, accounting for about 27% of all American abortions. It works out that Planned Parenthood performs an abortion every 96 seconds.
The actual totals could be far higher, especially since they do not report abortions caused by the 1.4 million abortion pills they dispense each year.
Planned Parenthood specifically targets the poor. A staggering 72 percent of Planned Parenthood's "customers" have incomes that are either equal to or beneath 150 percent of the federal poverty level.
Other Stats2012, the most recent statistics show the CDC reported a total of 825,564 abortions. The Guttmacher Institute (Planned Parenthoods research arm) reported 1,212,400
According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC) late-term abortions in 2005, 8,482 abortions were performed on babies 21 weeks or older.
The number of American babies killed by abortion each year is roughly equal to the number of U.S. military deaths that have occurred in all of the wars that the United States has ever been involved in combined.
According to Pastor Clenard Childress, approximately 52 percent of all African-American pregnancies now end in abortion.
Fathers Matter Because...
- 63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes
- 85% of all children that exhibit behavioral disorders come from fatherless homes
- 70% of juveniles in state-operated institutions come from fatherless homes
- 90% of all homeless and runaway children are from fatherless homes
- 71% of all high school dropouts come from fatherless homes
- 85% of all youths in prison come from fatherless homes.
Late-Term AbortionsAs for the number of late abortions committed in this country, no one knows. There are no standardized nationwide mandatory abortion-reporting requirements, and some of the most liberal jurisdictions, such as California, Maryland, and Washington, D.C., don't report. Beyond that, it is questionable how many late abortionists comply with these requirements, and how much enforcement there is of these laws.
For instance, when the Elkton, Maryland, office of abortionist Stephen Brigham was raided in 2010, investigators found 35 fetuses in his freezer, but there were no medical records documenting 33 of those abortions, much less state reporting.
Only 9.4 percent of late abortions at clinics that responded to the U.S. News survey were done for medical reasons, either to protect the mothers health(a rare situation) or, more commonly, because of fetal defects such as spina bifida and Downs syndrome for post-20-week abortions generally, about 90 percent were classified by the clinics as nonmedical.
CostsPrices are determined by the date of your Last Menstrual Period (LMP), and the cost rises as your pregnancy progresses. Cost also depends on whether the procedure is performed by a private practice, clinic or hospital.
Within 9 Weeks after LMP
Medical Abortion: Mifepristone and Misoprostol (RU 486) $400-$500
Within 6-12 Weeks after LMP
Surgical Abortion: Suction or Vacuum Aspiration $460-$600
Within 12-21 Weeks after LMP
Surgical Abortion: Dilation and Curettage $300-$600
Surgical Abortion: Dilation and Evacuation (Partial Birth Abortion) $500-$2000
These costs can be even higher, depending on whether additional medical services or visits are necessary due to health issues like STI's or natural complications. It's important to know how far along you are to determine what procedure you're a candidate for.